Sunday, March 20, 2016

One of Those March Days

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold:
when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.
~ Charles Dickens

Spring has officially arrived. Don your rubber boots and join me on a short walk around the neighbourhood.


spring melt
Drunk people run stop signs. High people wait for them to turn green. ~ Unknown
There's still a bit of snow in the shady spots (or at least there was ten days ago when these photos were taken) but for the most part, it's looking like spring in Peterborough.






black and white kitty
When I played in the sandbox, the cat kept covering me up. ~ Rodney Dangerfield
This little cutie came running to me from his comfy spot on the front porch, demanding a belly rub.






little cutie
A mouse does not rely on just one hole. ~ Plautus
Another cute little scavenger which was nowhere near the cat, thankfully but nearly got himself run over by a car as he panicked and hesitated on the road. I shooed him across the street and he promptly ran into an open door at the back of the gymnastics club.






inukshuk
The balanced rocks that sit on the inuksuk...represent the balance we strive to find in our lives. 
Life is fragile, just like the balanced rocks, but they help us remember that anything is possible. 
~ Shelley Hrdlitschka
An inukshuk just outside of a business not too far from home.







cute mallard drake
I am a duck. I'm cool and calm on the surface, but underneath it all is a nonstop struggle to succeed.
My feet are like orange spatulas.
~ Jarod Kintz
This handsome Mallard just emerged from the Ontonabee River to graze along its shoreline - just a couple of blocks from my place.







princess galoshes
March is a tomboy with tousled hair, a mischievous smile, mud on her shoes and a laugh in her voice. ~ Hal Borland
While watching the ducks, a little voice pieced my thoughts from off in the distance.








princess galoshes2
Childhood is that state which ends the moment a puddle is first viewed as an obstacle instead of an opportunity. ~ Michael K. Williams
She was full of fun and glee just as you would expect when stomping puddles on a sunny spring afternoon.







princess galoshes3
The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. ~ e. e. cummings
I chatted with her mom for a bit. A bit earlier, she had been running around barefoot. It really wasn't that warm out (15C/59F) but the sun had been strong and the kidlet was strong-willed. Eventually the chill got to her and she wanted to get back into the car to warm up. Little Ms. Princess Galoshes.






pylons
To me, driving through construction zones with pylons and barriers is a lot like giving birth:
I have to remind myself to breath. ~ Brenda Priddy
Lots of melt in this parking lot which allowed for the colourful reflections of the pylons.






fake
Real flowers may wilt away but fake flowers have never lived. ~ Anonymous
Just as I returned home, I came upon this fake flower which sat face down in the driveway. It won't be long before real flowers will brighten gardens, parks and other landscapes.

Thanks for joining me on this walk. I hope you'll be around for the next one - coming up soon!

49 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Loved the walk. Always something interesting to see in the neighbourhood! Happy spring.

William Kendall said...

That cat is way too adorable!

TexWisGirl said...

adorable little girl! :)

the cat looked just like my former boy, tuxedo - except the tip of his tail needed to be white.

joeh said...

Your mice are a lot cuter than our mice.

Barb said...

Of course that little green goddess steals the show. Kudos to her Mom for letting her get good and wet and dirty. More kids need the fun of stomping in puddles. How do kitties stay so clean, I wonder? Can't believe you also go a pic of the mouse! Some gymnast is going to be surprised!

L. D. said...

You are a great storyteller with your camera. Great photography.

Out on the prairie said...

Love all your finds and enjoyed seeing the little girl splashing. We always wanted to see how deep those puddles were, sometimes getting over the tops of our buckle boots. Wait, I just did a few weeks ago.LOL

Karen said...

Well you know, we call it mud season up here!
The Valley is supposed to get some snow this week. Thankfully at this time of year we know within a day or two it will be gone gone gone!
My dog chased a mouse on the road the other day. You should have heard it chittering at him. The cat is having a great time bringing them out of the basement for our inspection.

stephen Hayes said...

Inukshuk? Not familiar with this word. Great pics, especially the little girl iN boots and that pretty green dress.

Cloudia said...

You really compel along with your narrative charms! Each a gem worthy of a daily post by itself.

So let me get this right: you shooed a mouse into a gym?
LOL! Scream Class is beginning, along with dancing and leaping atop tables!

Grandma C said...

Walks with you are fun. Thank you for taking us along. Beautiful cat and adorable little girl.

Theresa said...

A girl and her Bogs, a puddle is no match no matter what the age.
I would have been tempted to snatch that handsome tuxedo cat for myself!
Thank you for the walk-about!

DJan said...

I like that quote about the fake flowers, as well as the pictures of the adorable little sprite who enjoyed stomping around in the puddles! Nice tour with you, Hilary. As usual, your eye caught wonderful things for me to enjoy to the fullest. :-)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing the many faces of spring.The little one playing in the water is especially cute.

Birdie said...

I think that little girl may have actually been a Sprite.

Red said...

I like the quote at the top on stop signs. I'd just like to add to that quote that Hilary waits for reflections of stop signs. Nice shot.

Betsy Brock said...

A nice little walk out and about! Sounds like the gym has mice! haha.

messymimi said...

Very pretty early spring shots! The little scavenger running into the open door of a gym -- i can imagine the panic ensuing.

Jackie said...

The walk with you was one that made my heart smile!
I love your photographs. You capture such magic.
My favorite today is the spectacular reflection of the stop sign in the first photo.
Sending you warmest hugs, my friend.
Jackie

ADRIAN said...

Melting snow I find a depressing sight but you have made the best of it.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Love the reflection of the stop sign in the first picture, and the little girl jumping in the puddles is precious. Love those boots, too. We live across from a cemetery, and we're always finding those fake flowers in our yard. They blow over from the cemetery during high winds.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Hahaha….that wet little girl!

sage said...

Beautiful shots and nice boots on the girl!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

enjoyed...loved the first shot of the tike

Catherine said...

Spring has come late to Suffolk this year, but is very welcome. Glad to see you are enjoying it too, Hilary

ellen abbott said...

love the inukshuk. and the stomping princess. it's been spring here but right now winter is reminding us it hasn't lost all it's power.

Gattina said...

Loved to walk with you ! Only spring is not yet here unfortunately !

Maggie May said...

Some interesting things there! I loved the little stone thing on the wall!
Was full of wildlife on that walk and I rather enjoyed it.
Maggie x

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I need to back track on your posts, I've been away from the puter for awhile. Love your eye on your neighborhood. Always a delight to see what you see. xoxo Oma Linda

Rita said...

Loved it all! So much fun to go with you wandering about. :)

Mage said...

I never used to take a camera when I could walk. Now I always take a camera.
You are so good for me.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I recall very well when the sidewalks were melting, the ugly snow left on the edges and yards. It always took so long for it to truly go away. Love the little girl trouncing through the puddles. Something I'd like to do.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love the stop sign's reflection in the water on the sidewalk and I LOVE that beautiful cat :)

Kerri Farley said...

What a great "virtual" walk with you :)

Anvilcloud said...

Clever capture of the stop sign reflection in the puddle.

I am sure the gymnastics club is ever so pleased with how you helped the mouse. :)

Kaye Waller said...

I'd never heard of an inukshuk until this post so I looked it up. Thanks for the education--and the great photos, Hilary!

Leah J. Utas said...

What a lovely walk. Thank you.

ToBlog today said...

Hi Hilary,

I love the photos and especially the ones of the little girl. If I were to take you on a walk of my area, you'd think it was still winter here. Enjoying the transition from winter to Spring.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely walk! Those boots are cute.

Unknown said...

The little girl is precious! Great photos as always, Hilary and a great journey to lift our spirits!!

Linda said...

Love the inukshuk! And the cate is very handsome.

Shammickite said...

well, that was a short spring! Freezing rain today, my art day is cancelled..... stay warm Hilary!
Love the wee mousie, he was probably going into the gym club for a few bench presses.

Daryl said...

temps here are careening around the thermometer .. high low in-between .... sometimes all in one day

Existe Sempre Um Lugar said...

Bom dia,excelente caminhada pelo bairro na linda primavera ainda fria, as fotos são excelentes com qualidade.
Pascoa Feliz.
AG

Linda said...

Love that little black and white kitty with the pink nose. I want to just hug him. He reminds me a lot of my Dood.

Also, that's a great shot of the Mallard. They are such beautiful creatures.

Betty Manousos said...

hi hilary! loved to walk with you. adorable little girl! ant that cat is such a cutie.

happy weekend!
xoxo

yaya said...

My Granddaughter Addy received a kitty for her birthday a few years ago like the one you featured..a tuxedo cat. His name was Sammy and what a sweetheart he was. He went missing after they moved and I really hope he found a nice home but it sure made our Addy sad to lose him. I'm glad Spring has sprung up North. I loved the last pic and quote. I often think the world wants us to be like a fake flower..never aging, never changing, never really being alive! Have a good week!

Haddock said...

Lovely pictures.
Crisp and clear. The first one, looks like the duck is testing the water.

Mandy said...

What a gorgeous walk! I always like your photo and quote posts.