Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Two Trees and Meagre Posts of the Week

Below are a couple of trees which catch my eye in all seasons, but especially in winter when their branches are bare, and the sun sets behind them in colours that only this season can offer. Both photos were taken in November.


erin mills tree5
This one is along the park path where I do most of my wandering. Behind it is a busy parkway.


sunset tree2
This beauty can be found in Frank's neck of the woods, about as close to his home as my tree is to mine.


Once again, I've been slacking off where my blog visits are concerned. It's been a pleasantly busy holiday season and I've simply not been around to very many blogs in the past couple of weeks. As a result, the POTW tends to suffer because when I'm not visiting, I'm not collecting posts to share with the rest of you. I hope to pick up the pace a little over the next week or two, but until then, I'll share the very few POTW that I've collected so far.

And now, without further delay, here are the Posts of the Week. The icon below is yours for the taking if if your blog post is named as a POTW.



HELP REQUIRED

Help Find Haley
by Travis
at One Word, One Rung, One Day
*** Update*** Haley has now been found. This quote from Travis' page:
"I have good news to share. My friend Ray, the father who made the video in the last post has found his daughter after police in Carlsbad, California pulled her over. As I type this he is en route in his flight to go out and talk to her. Thanks to all of you who helped spread the word and I hope they are able to have a productive talk and come away with a healthy resolve for their entire family.


GOOD IDEA

My Slippers Do the Old Folks Shuffle
by CiCi
at Liquid Mind, Sanguine Soul


VIDEO

Ben's Story
by Nancy
at Life in the Second Half


READERS' CHOICE

Recommended by: TexWisGirl
Hello
by Nancy
at A Rural Journal


Also recommended by: TexWisGirl
Suburbia
by Bon Bon

at Phantom Kitty

Please drop by their blogs for a visit and leave a kind comment if you have the time. Also, please feel free to add your own choices (for any blog except this one) for a specific blog post in the comments section below, where others can see them.

Thank you.


38 comments:

Kerry said...

So beautiful and peaceful, so evocative of this time of year.

Brian Miller said...

congrats to the POTWs...that second pic is remarkable hilary....

stephen Hayes said...

Winter is the best time to study trees because this is the time when their architecture is laid bare and you can see how they are made. Your photos show this very well.

Claudya Martinez said...

I have a couple of trees that I'm really good friends with. Happy New Year!

ds said...

I love trees silhouetted against a sunset sky. Gorgeous!
Congratulations to the POTWs. All best in 2012!

Cloudia said...

Nice to see you, Dear!



That second tree shot blew my mind like jazz



Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Ruby said...

That second tree is fab shot! Shows the picturesque winter with just the bare naked trees..

Dave said...

Trees are one of my favourite living things Hilary. Your pics show them during their down time well. You have a relaxing festive season. You have earned it - Dave

CorvusCorax12 said...

beautiful trees

Sueann said...

I agree with Brian! That second photo is amazing!! Beautiful
Hugs
SUeAnn

Tabor said...

I went to the first link and now I do not think I can go to the rest. I hope she is found soon and safe!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems winter mutes most things..even sunsets! As to posts, I'd have to second 'Hello,' by Nancy over at A Rural Journal...

Gary's third pottery blog said...

winter color and beauty!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your holidays! I don't know how you find time to read so many posts anyway. Beautiful images. Thanks, Hilary!

DJan said...

You are indeed a voracious reader and always point me to some good ones. Thanks! And as always, I enjoy your pictures.

TexWisGirl said...

thank you, dear hilary! so appreciate you including my picks! thanks, always for the beauty and thoughts you share with us!

Anonymous said...

That second tree is just lovely!

Anonymous said...

powerful video shares <3

Sage said...

I love the winter sky at twilight! Nice photos

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE your trees!!

Nancy said...

Thank you, Hilary! Ben was an exceptional young man. Hope you have a nice rest and wonderful New Year. Those trees and the light are amazing.

Liz Mays said...

I think it's perfect that you took the time off to enjoy the season. That's how it should be! Gorgeous photos!

Dan said...

Isn't it amazing what we can find close to home. The power of observation and the ability to see and imagine are important points to capturing beautiful images.

Nice late day light!

Slamdunk said...

Happy 2012 Hilary. I'll have to stop back by and read your POTW winners later--def something to look forward to.

ethelmaepotter! said...

I just dropped by to say Happy New Year, but I'd forgotten how mesmerizing your photography can be...found myself gazing at everything on your page, all brilliantly done. Strangely, I find myself most attracted to the pic of your son playing guitar; most people, myself included, would have gone for the stand-a-few-feet-away-and-take-the-full-on shot, but you showed your artistry, as well as his, in just the hand plucking the strings.
Happy new year to you and Frank, and I hope to see more of you in the not-too-distant future!

Deb said...

I also love taking pics of trees during the winter when the dark branches are backdropped against the winter skies. If I were younger I would love to scramble to the tiptop of those branches.

CiCi said...

Hi Hilary, isn't that the truth about the beauty of the bare trees in winter. I love looking at the trees now, just as much as the other seasons. For one thing, I can see the squirrels jumping from tree to tree and dropping down to branches below. It is like watching the winter olympics only with the squirrels.

Thank you for adding one of my posts in your recommendations this week. I really got a lot of use out those slippers! Glad you enjoyed reading that post.

Hope this year is wonderful for you. I look forward to learning even more from you as I study your photos this year.

Hugs
CiCi

Out on the prairie said...

i see a lot of shapes in the bare trees

Dianne said...

I kind of like it when there are less POTWs, makes it more feasible to visit each one
plus it's great that you do it, so don't add pressure for yourself

I love bare trees, so wonderful to see their shape
lovely shots Hil

Maggie May said...

That first photo is beautifully appealing.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Red said...

On the first photo I like the way you waited and waited for just that tiny bit of red left int he sunset.

Lisa said...

There is so much beauty in your images . They tell a story all on there own. So glad you share your outstanding works.

Tammie Lee said...

awesome photos
i love trying to take photos of trees that show their awesomeness, you did it!

lovely 2012 to you!

Cheryl Kohan said...

I also love silhouetted trees...actually any kind of silhouette. The POTWs were just right. When you post more, I can't always get to all of them so I actually feel as though I've accomplished a lot!!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the shout out and thanks to Texwisgirl for the recommendation. :)

Anonymous said...

I've had a full household (or been a member of someone else's full household) pretty much non-stop since December 16th. I hope to get back to regular reading soon! (The college kids return to school on Sunday, but next week is already booked for the 4 of us left at home.)

Glad to know that your friend's daughter is at least safe.
I loved the littlest angel photos and the iced-over puddle animals! And of course, your holiday photographs were pure magic.
Happy New year to you & your loved ones, Hilary! ♥

Friko said...

Beautiful, as always. I don't know what else to say.
Except Happy New Year!

SandyCarlson said...

Those silhouettes are beautiful.